Virgnia Highlander's Macaroni Salad
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbelbow macaroni, cooked
1 mediumwhite onion
1 largegreen pepper
1 largetomato, seeds removed
1 mediumcucumber, peeled and seeded
1 largesoup spoon, heaping of hellmans mayo
1 dash(es)lee & perrins(must be) worsterschire sauce
1 pinchdry mustard
1 tspsalt, more if using sea salt
How to Make Virgnia Highlander's Macaroni Salad
- Put large pot of water (4qt) on with 1 tsp of salt. Bring to boil. Add macaroni and stir so it doesn't stick together. Cook until al dente. I normally cook it for about 8 minutes, but everyone's stove is different.
- While water boils and pasta cooks, chop all vegetables into small dices. Add to a large bowl.
- Mix mayonaise, worsterschire and mustard together. Mix well and combine with diced vegetables.
- Once macaroni is cooked, dump in the colander to drain. Don't rinse the macaroni.. let it sit for a few minutes to cool a little. Maybe 10 minutes. Pasta will stick together. Add warm macaroni to the large bowl with mayo & vegetables, fold until combined and separated. Refrigerate for 5-6 hours or overnight. FYI - if tomatoes are extra ripe, they will become yucky after being in the fridge for over 24 hours. I would use a fairly firm tomato.
- Salt to taste. Daddy liked to put in black pepper, i do too.