Portuguese JAG. (rice)
4 or 5 cwater
2 1/2 cwhite long rice
1 1/2 lblinguica(portuguese sausage or turkey sausage)
1 Tbsptomato paste (with salt added preferred)
10 ozlima beans(freezer section )or can add red kidney beans 2 cans is fine.)
1 largeonion (chopped)
1 Tbspgarlic (minced)or 3 fresh garlic cloves minced garlic
1/2 tspwhite pepper (or good pinch of red pepper flakes
1-2 Tbspportuguese olive oil (or italian olive oil works okay too'
·you can italian sausage instad of turkey sausage mild or hot.)
How to Make Portuguese JAG. (rice)
- HEAT olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan.
FRY your linguica,seasoning with salt and pepper.
- ADD Onions,and garlic, sauteeing until onions are tender and translucent;be careful not to burn the garlic.
- ADD WATER, tomato paste,and bay leaves,stirring until the tomato paste is dissolved.
ADD your beans,and rice,stirring to combine;bring to a boil on high temperature.
- WHEN boiling ,turn to medium low heat and cover,cooking 20-30 minutes.
- CHECK occasionally,stir to avoid sticking,lowering the heat a smidge further if needed;rice should be fairly dry when cooked completely .
- REMOVE the bay leaves, before serving.
- LITTLE NOTE IF you'd to lower the fat a little.TRY GASPAR'S turkey linguaca ,its sold in the same SECTION AS THE CHOURICO OR ITAILIN SAUSAGES.
YOU CAN ALSO try to use brown rice.and peas just use your ideas.Let me know what was the different way it was made. ENJOY it AND GOD BLESS..