Roasted Barley Salad
116 oz bag of dry pearl barley
3 Tbspolive oil
1large red onion, sliced into 1/4" rings
3 1/2 cvegetable stock or water, stock tastes best
6 oz.roasted red peppers, diced
1/4 cparlsey, chopped
1/4 cfresh lemon juice
1/2 colive oil
1/4 tspfresh ground black pepper
How to Make Roasted Barley Salad
- Toss the barley with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and spread evenly in a roasting pans
- Toss onions rings with 1 tbsp of olive oil and lay the rings on a cookie sheet. Season with salt and pepper
- Place the pan of barley and the cookie sheet with the onions in a 375 degree oven and roast until the barley and onions turn golden brown, stirring the barley as needed for it to roast evenly.
- Add the stock (or water) to the barley, cover with a sheet of foil and continue to roast until the barley absorbs the stock, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the onions and barley from the oven and let cool at room temperature.
- Assemble the salad by placing the following in a large bowl: the barley, the onions (saving a few for garnish) roasted red peppers and the chopped parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper, adding the olive oil and lemon juice. Toss well. Place in serving dish an garnish. Refrigerate until service.