Italian Bread Salad (Panzanella)
- 6 c
- rustic italian or french bread, cubed
- 1/2 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 clove
- fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2
- fresh tomatoes, cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- red wine vinegar
- small onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 c
- fresh basil, chopped
How to Make Italian Bread Salad (Panzanella)
- 11. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss bread pieces with 2 tablespoons oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and garlic; arrange bread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Toast bread pieces until just starting to turn light golden, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 22. Gently toss tomatoes and ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl. Transfer to colander and set over bowl; set aside to drain for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- 33. Whisk remaining 6 tablespoons oil, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon pepper into reserved tomato juices. Add bread pieces, toss to coat, and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- 44. Add tomatoes, onion, and basil to bowl with bread pieces and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.