Fresh broccoli cauliflower salad
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 3 stalk(s)
- broccoli, fresh, cut into bite size pieces
- head cauliflower cut into bite size pieces
- 4 stalk(s)
- celery cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 c
- frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 lb
- bacon, cooked and chopped (omit for vegan)
- onion chopped small
- 10 oz
- mayonnaise (i used whole 10 ounce jar of sir kensington's non-gmo organic) for vegan use vegenaise, for paleo use payo
- 1/4 c
- sugar (for paleo use honey or 1/8 cup agave syrup)
- 1/8 c
- white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c
- parmesan region cheese (for paleo or vegan use go veggie vegan cheese)
How to Make Fresh broccoli cauliflower salad
- 1Start your bacon first. I use no-nitrite, sugar-free thick bacon and prepare it in the oven. If you've never done bacon in the oven, DO IT! On a baking sheet that has a lip all the way around it, (cover with foil for a quick, easy cleanup) lay 6-7 strips of thick bacon. Put in a COLD oven and turn on to 400 degrees. Bake for 20-23 minutes (thin sliced takes less time). You'll have perfect, crisp bacon and there is no need to stand over it so you're free to do other things till the timer goes off. Once done, remove bacon from baking sheet and lay on paper towels to drain.
- 2While the bacon is baking, place frozen peas in a colander and run hot water over them to thaw.
- 3Chop broccoli, cauliflower, and celery into small bite size pieces. You want the pieces small enough that you can get 2-3 in one bite. Place in a bowl. Add the thawed peas.
- 4Chop the onion into tiny pieces as they will be used in the dressing. I used one of those chopper tools.
- 5In a separate small bowl whisk together the sugar (or honey or agave), vinegar, parmesan and chopped onions. Then pour it over the bowl of veggies and stir thoroughly.
- 6When the bacon is done baking, draining and cooled, chop it into bite sized pieces and add to the salad.
- 7Cover the bowl and put in refrigerator until ready to serve. This can even be made a day ahead. Just be sure to give it a good stir before serving. I usually stir up from bottom for each serving put on the plate as the dressing will settle.