★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- fresh cranberries, grind and drain juice
- fresh oranges, grind using juice and rind
- 2 c
- 1/2 c
- chopped pecans
- 1 can(s)
- regular can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 oz
- pkg red jello (such as cherry)
How to Make Ruth's Raw Cranberry Relish
- 1After washing all fruit, coarsely grind, or chop in food processor, or, carefully, by hand if better for you, the fresh cranberries, and oranges. Then after grinding/chopping them, place in a colander, along with the other wet ingredients, such as the crushed pineapple, and let drain into a bowl overnight or for several hours to rid the fruit of extra juices. It is important to drain all the juices, but especially important to drain the pineapple juices as much as possible. The pineapple contains an enzyme that can prevent gelling.
- 2Then after draining, add the rest of the ingredients. Remember, especially, to coarsely chop the pecans, not process them into a fine grain. Add the red, already dissolved jello (in one cup of very hot or boiling water), to the rest of the ingredients.
- 3Pour into an appropriate container. Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
This recipe is easy, however since its for the holidays, you might want a "test" run before hand.