Homemade Tarragon and Garlic Vinegar
If you can boil water and peel a clove of garlic, you can make this. Honest. The only thing that is challenging about this, is getting the garlic and tarragon out of the bottle once it is all gone. I usually fill the bottle with water and shake it into the sink, which brings some of the garlic out. Then I'll use a bamboo skewer to get the rest of the tarragon out. BUT....I only have to do this a couple of times a year! That's how long this vinegar will last you.
How to Make Homemade Tarragon and Garlic Vinegar
- Pour the vinegar into a small pot and bring ALMOST to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Put garlic and tarragon stalks into the new bottle or jar.
- Using a funnel, pour the very hot vinegar into the bottle or jar over the tarragon and garlic.
KEEP YOUR FACE AWAY FROM THE HOT VINEGAR - IT WILL TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY (I learned that the hard way).
- Let the vinegar cool, then cork the bottle (or close the lid on the jar). That's it! For a vinaigrette, use about 2-3 TBL olive oil with 1 tsp vinegar, salt and pepper. yum.
- Store in the refrigerator.