Grandma Richter's Wilted Lettuce Salad
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Yummmm! This is a simple but delicious salad. The dressing really makes this salad - sweet and delicious. I've never had a dressing like this before ... I will definitely be taking this one to our next church dinner. The Test Kitchen
- 12 cups
- (8 oz.) romaine lettuce (*see note)
- 11 slices
- hickory smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- tablespoons diced onion
- 1/2 cup
- heavy whipping cream, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup
- sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup
- apple cider vinegar, plus 1 tablespoon
CREAMY DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
How to Make Grandma Richter's Wilted Lettuce Salad
- 1Place salad ingredients into a very large bowl. (I put mine into a 13 cup size Tupperware bowl.)
- 2In another bowl, add the creamy dressing ingredients. Stir thoroughly to blend the ingredients together.
- 3Pour the creamy dressing, a little at a time, over the salad, and stir gently to combine.
- 4Once the creamy dressing has been completely mixed into the salad, serve the salad immediately.
- 5*Note: When making this salad, you can pretty much use any type of lettuce, but my daughter and I agree, we much prefer using romaine lettuce; picked fresh from ones garden, but you can use store bought lettuce, even the iceberg lettuce. Also, when adding the leaves to the bowl, I pretty much left the leaves whole, except for the leaves that were a bit too large, then I tore those in half.