Fancy Tomato Salad
I saw this, many years ago, on some cooking show on TV. I have made it a few times, but I don't remember if I ever had a written recipe (I just keep things filed in my head).
It looks fantastic at a fancy dinner party and it is really pretty easy to do. I know this recipe really needs a picture, I promise to do one real soon. In the mean-time I have included a photo of enoki mushrooms, available in most produce aisles.
**Note: Do the scallions and radishes hours earlier, or even the night before,to let them blossom. You can skip the radish if it is too much trouble. Remember to warn your guests about the toothpicks.
***NOTE: To eat this salad, just pierce tomato securely and deeply with a fork and slice with knife into bite-sized pieces. Do it first so your guests with see what to do.
- small red radishes
- scallions or green onions, very thin ones
- 4 medium
- vine-ripened tomatoes, try to pick ones with flat bottoms.
- 6 inch leaves from hearts of romaine lettuce (not the big dark green outer leaves, the smaller light green inner leaves)
- 12 - 16
- fresh enoki mushrooms (see picture)
- 6 to 8 inch long chives
- 1 bunch
- bright-colored, double-point ended, wooden toothpicks
- i like a raspberry vinagrette
FOR THE SALAD:
DRESSING OF YOUR CHOICE.