I love everything about wedge salads...ripe tomatoes, tons of bleu cheese dressing, and bacon--LOTS of bacon. I love everything EXCEPT the mega calories. So here is my version-- "skinnied" down to alleviate any "eaters remorse". The dressing is made from scratch. The bacon is turkey bacon. Have seconds or thirds~it's that good.
1cut lettuce head into quarters. Place each on own plate or in bowl.
2Slice tomatoes into wedges. Arrange on plates/bowls around lettuce wedge.
3Cook turkey bacon in microwave until crisp.
1. Lay pieces, side by side, on paper-towel covered plate.
2. Cover with another paper towel.
3. Cook for 3-6 minutes depending on microwave. Mine is 1000 watts and it takes about 4-5 minutes. Check after 3 minutes of cooking, continue at 1 minute intervals until crisp. Careful...it burns easily.
4Let bacon cool. Crumble into small pieces.
1. Combine mayo, buttermilk, herbs, seasonings. Mix well. Add blue cheese and stir until combined. Can store in fridge for about a week.
6Pour dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with bacon pieces and candied pecans.
7For pecan topping:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, and water; stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Bring to boil. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
4. Add pecans and stir until coated.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pecans to a pie plate and sprinkle lightly with salt, cayenne & a little sugar.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the nuts are fragrant and lightly caramelized. Let cool.