The Southern Version of Caprese Salad
1/2watermelon cut into bite size chunks and seeds removed
8 ozbuffalo mozzarella cut into bite size cubes
1 bunchfresh basil torn into small pieces. ( about 1 cup)
3/4 to 1 csweet "valdalia" onion chopped fine
1/4 to 1/2 colive oil, extra virgin
1-2 tspbalsamic vinegar
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make The Southern Version of Caprese Salad
- Slice your water melon in half. Remove seeds. Take a melon baller and make melon balls (about 4 cups) or cut into bite size chunks. Place in large bowl.
- Wash the basil and let dry. Tear the leaves into small pieces. Mix with water melon.
- Cut the sweet onion into tiny chunks. Place in bowl with water melon and basil. Or, if you don't want to be truly southern, you can replace the Vidalia onion with scallions.
Directions for scallions: Wash the scallions and remove the bottoms and small piece of the tops. Discard the cut off pieces. Thinly chop the scallions and mix with the water melon with basil.
- Take the buffalo mozzarella and cut into small chunks. Toss them in bowl with the other side ingredients and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad with the olive oil. Start with 1/4 cup of eco and add more if too dry. Next drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Adjust to taste. Finally add some salt and pepper (a pinch or two) to season the salad. Serve immediately..