Original Waldorf Salad
A great summer salad or starter salad to go with a chicken dinner.
A quote from Jean Pare: "Although the original salad of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel is reported not to contain walnuts. It has become a natural ingredient."
I think the addition of grapes has been used in some variations of this salad as well.
I have made this salad and it was well received. Hopefully you will like it too.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 cup peeled apple, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (this is in recipe but i leave it out)
- red/green grapes halved (not listed in recipe, my addition) optional
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise /salad dressing
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
How to Make Original Waldorf Salad
- 1Put apples, celery, grapes and walnuts (if using) into a bowl)
- 2Add mayonnaise/salad dressing , and lemon juice immediately to prevent apples from darkening.
Mix until thoroughly combined.
- 3Place butter lettuce on individual plates. (not in recipe my addition to this salad)
- 4Place the salad on the lettuce.
- 6Serves 4