- for the salad
- hearts if romaine lettuce
- 2 can(s)
- chilled, drained mandarin oranges (save the juice for making jello)
- thinly slice and chopped green onion tops that have been marinated in the dressing (optional)
- 1/2 tsp
- finely chopped green onion stem
- 1 c
- canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c
- freshly sqeezed orange juice with a little zest, unsweetened or wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- prepared dijon mustard
- a pinch of sea salt
- about three cups of halved pecans or halved almonds
- about 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
FOR THE CANDIED NUTS
How to Make Orange, Candied Nuts Green Salad
- 1Wash the lettuce and green onions (the onions are optional). Drain them well and set of paper towels. Tear the lettuce into bit size pieces. Add the oranges. Toss. Set in bowl inside the refig.
- 2Make the dressing and set aside.
- 3In a large cast iron skillet place the sugar in and turn on the heat to high. When it looks like it is melted, add the nuts. Stir when it looks like it is boiling. Coating the nuts well. Stir till the sugar is an amber color.
- 4Very quickly turn out on to a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with Pam or lightly buttered. Scrape the pan of all the melted sugar.
- 5When cooled. Beat the coated nuts into pieces.
- 6Add the candies nuts to the salad..toss and serve with the dressing.