HOLIDAY JELLO WITH FRUIT
But you are going to love it. Give your mama some, too! Wonderfully loaded with fresh fruit and nuts and held together by black cherry and strawberry jello. This is our family's favorite Holiday Jello, and has been on our family table for many years. Now it can be on yours! Enjoy!
- large package of black cherry jello
- large package of strawberry jello
- cup of sugar
- cups english walnuts (broken pieces)
- orange peeled with a knife and diced
- cups of seedless purple grapes cut in half
- whipped cream or whipped topping
- note: don't substitute jello flavors or fruits and nuts. it is the combination of fruits, jellos, and nuts in this recipe that gives its unique flavor.
How to Make HOLIDAY JELLO WITH FRUIT
- 1NOTE: Please read instructions through before making the recipe. Here is some information about making the perfect Jello:
There is a first time for everyone, when it comes to making jello recipes, and the instructions on the side of the pack just say "add hot water, stir, add cold water, stir, chill" which seems to suggest that jello making is foolproof. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
For making jello, you need to use a measuring cup to make sure you have exactly the right amount of water. Guesswork is not recommended. Follow the package directions FOR ADDING FRUIT, and mix your jello accordingly. You will use a little LESS WATER if you are adding fruit than if you are making plain jello. MAKE SURE YOUR WATER IS HOT.
Get the right amount of hot water and sprinkle the jello powder on top. At this point add sugar if the recipe calls for it. Using a fork or wire whisk, mix together the jello and hot water making sure you mix it completely. Keep going until it is completely combined. When the jello has dissolved, add the cold water and mix well. Mixing well is what gives your jello recipe a good consistency. Chill the jello until it is semi-firm and add the fruits and nuts. You want a big bowl of fruits and nuts bound together with the jello. There will be more fruit than jello, and that is what you want.
- 2So, let's begin! It is actually very easy!
Mix the Jello according to the package directions for adding fruit. ADD 1/2 CUP OF SUGAR to the hot water and mix it in with the jello. Let the jello set until semi-firm. Watch that it does not set before you can add the fruit, and also, do not add the fruit before it is semi-firm.
- 3While you are waiting for the jello to get semi-firm, prepare the fruits. Cut the grapes in half, peel the orange with a knife (so no white membrane is in the jello) and dice it. Slice your bananas just before you fold it into the jello.
- 4Add the prepared fruits and nuts and mix thoroughly. You will have more fruit than jello, and that is what you want. I usually make my Holiday Jello in a big bowl instead of a mold or ring. Smooth the top of the jello with the back of a spoon pushing any fruits that pop up down under the jello. Let it set until firm. Serve the jello with a big dollop of whipped cream or cool whip. Enjoy!