Acini salad with kirsch and toasted coconut
My BF suggested adding some lemon zest and something crispy to put it over the top.
I love Kirsch in berry recipies, and thought what if I added that and some cherry juice instead of the mandarin orange juice.
We loved the kirchified version of this old family favorite.
- 1 c
- acini di pepe pasta
- 16 oz
- can mandarin oranges, drained
- 16 oz
- can pineapple chunks, drained, reserve juice
- 15 oz
- can cherries, drained reserve juice. if you don't want to use canned cherries, just use the juice.
- 2 large
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 large
- lemon, zested, reserve lemon for another use
- 8 oz
- cool whip container
- fresh fruit of your choice, i like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango
- 1/2 c
- sweetened coconut
How to Make Acini salad with kirsch and toasted coconut
- 1Bring a quart of water to a boil and add the acini pasta, using directions on bag. Mine usually takes 8 minutes or so. Drain, run cold water over, put into a bowl.
- 2While pasta cooks, make your dressing by oombining the eggs, flour, sugar, kirsch, salt, and the reserved pineapple and cherry juice. Stir to mix well and stirring constantly over medium high heat until thickened.
- 3Pour dressing over acini, cover and chill.
You can do this overnight, or earlier in the day.
- 4Pre heat oven to 400° and spread the coconut on a cookie sheet. Keep a close eye and stir frequently because this burns so easily.
You want it just lightly toasted.
- 5Reserve a few strawberries and blueberries for garnish.
In a large bowl combine everything but the toasted coconut.
- 6Put in a pretty glass bowl, sprinkle desired amount of coconut over the top, garnish with blueberries and strawberry fans.
- 7To make a strawberry fan make 4 vertical cuts fron the narrow end to the leaf end. Spread with your fingers to make a fan.