This weekend we had a yard sale I only made enough to dress up the hot dogs BIG mistake every one love it! Gone before I could get seconds.
- green papaya, (unripe)
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
- onions, vidalia, peeled
- 1 tube(s)
- ginger, thumb-sized piece
- rock salt
- 1 c
- 1 1/8 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
FOR THE PICKLING SOLUTION
How to Make Achara (atsara)
- 1Peel the papaya and cut in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Shred the papaya using a vegetable grater (similar to a cheese grater but with bigger holes). Sprinkle with about a tablespoonful of rock salt and toss well. Let stand for 15-20 minutes then squeeze out the juices.
- 2Peel and cut the carrot into florets.
- 3Seed the bell peppers and julienne.
- 4Peel the ginger and julienne.
- 5Toss the papaya and the vegetables together.
- 6Mix together the ingredients for the pickling solution except for the pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring to completely dissolve the sugar and salt. Cool. Pour over the papaya and vegetables, add the pepper and toss well. Let stand for about 30 minutes before serving.