This weekend we had a yard sale I only made enough to dress up the hot dogs BIG mistake every one love it! Gone before I could get seconds.
1green papaya, (unripe)
1red bell pepper
1green bell pepper
1onions, vidalia, peeled
1 tube(s)ginger, thumb-sized piece
FOR THE PICKLING SOLUTION
1 1/8 csugar
1 1/2 tspblack pepper
How to Make Achara (atsara)
- Peel the papaya and cut in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Shred the papaya using a vegetable grater (similar to a cheese grater but with bigger holes). Sprinkle with about a tablespoonful of rock salt and toss well. Let stand for 15-20 minutes then squeeze out the juices.
- Peel and cut the carrot into florets.
- Seed the bell peppers and julienne.
- Peel the ginger and julienne.
- Toss the papaya and the vegetables together.
- Mix together the ingredients for the pickling solution except for the pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring to completely dissolve the sugar and salt. Cool. Pour over the papaya and vegetables, add the pepper and toss well. Let stand for about 30 minutes before serving.