Homemade Laundry Soap
- 1 pkg
- white zote bar, or pink zote bar, fels-naptha soap bar
- 1 c
- 20 mule team clean up borax ( not the bug borax! )
- 1 c
- washing soap arm&hamer
- 4 1/2 gal
- of warm to hot water
- 1 large
- cooking pot
- cheese grater
- 5 gal
- bucket with lid
- pourable container ( you can use your old laundry container cleaned out )
- drops of lavender essential oil (opt)
How to Make Homemade Laundry Soap
- 1Grate the soap bar over large pot like cheese. Cover soap with 1 in of water. Cook on low heat until all soap is fully melted. Stir frequently don't let it burn.
- 2Add 1c of borax and 1c of washing soda powder. Add more water and cook on low until all is dissolved.
- 3Put the mix in a 5 gal bucket and add about 4- 4.5 warm to hot water and mix well.
Put lid on and let set for 24hr . Mix will be jell like, just mix by hand and put into your container.
(opt) I add about 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil to make it smell really good. This batch Im adding lemon essential oil with a few drops of tea tree oil.
NOTE some essential oils are very very strong ( tea tree oil )and you only need like 2-4 drops
Homemade lemon essential oil- grate 1 whole lemon rind add to a glass jar then put about 1/2 c or less of cold press olive oil and shake well. Leave by a window for a day or two . You can strain the lemon rinds out or leave in.
- 4The Math...need some help with this one! :)
Box of 20min Borax $3.87 @ 76oz of powder and use 8oz (1c) for 5 gals of laundry soap
Box of Washing Soda $2.96 @ 55oz of powder and use 8oz (1c) for 5 gal of laundry soap
White zote $0.98 @ 14.01 oz and you use 1 whole bar for 5 gal of laundry soap every time you make it.
Homedepot bucket 2.37 plus lid 1.29 ( you can use it over)
Your average bottle of tide of 50oz washes 32 loads of laundry let just say it cost 10 bucks ( Im getn 9.99 to 12.00 off the internet for pricing)
The homemade Laundry soap makes 5 gallons of laundry soap
( 1 gal = 128 oz x 5 gal =640 oz divided by 4oz (because 4oz in 1/2 c and 1/2c washes 1 load) =160 load of laundry you can wash ( I think) need some help with the math ( would like to know the cost per 5 gals of home made laundry soap)