Candy Arrangement w/ A Styrofoam Egg & Flower Pot
- 6-inch-square floral foam
- 4-inch-wide terracotta flower pot
- 8-inch-long styrofoam egg
- hot glue gun
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 to 1 cup water
- small bowl
- food-grade pastry brush
- 2 heavy objects, such as books
- 2 lbs. unwrapped candies, such as jellybeans, gumballs, candy corn or peppermint discs
- 1-inch-wide ribbon
- edible glitter
How to Make Candy Arrangement w/ A Styrofoam Egg & Flower Pot
- 1Carve a 6-inch square block of floral foam so that it fits inside a 4-inch-wide terracotta flower pot. Cut the base of the foam into a cylindrical shape that graduates into a 4-inch circle on the top. Form the top of the foam so it covers the top of the opening of the pot without having any gaps around the edge.
- 2Apply a ring of hot glue around the base of the foam; do not put it on the center since the pot will have a hole in the bottom. Insert the foam into the pot.
- 3Position an 8-inch-long Styrofoam egg vertically in the center of the top of the foam. Apply a thick layer of hot glue beneath the base of the egg and the floral foam. Hold the egg in place until the glue hardens.
- 4Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar together with 1 tsp. of water in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add more water 1 tsp. at a time to the sugar to create a thick paste. Add more sugar by the tsp. if the paste is too thin; you want a mixture that does not drip when you allow it to fall from a spoon.
- 5Place the Styrofoam egg and pot on one side. Use two heavy objects, such as books, on each side of the object so it does not roll around.
- 6Brush the powdered sugar mixture over the half of the Styrofoam egg that is facing up using a food-grade pastry brush.
- 7Dip unwrapped candies, such as jellybeans, gumballs, candy corn or peppermint discs, one at a time, into the sugar glue. Coat one side of the candies. Press the candies to the side of the Styrofoam egg that is facing up. Allow the egg to remain in this position until the sugar has hardened.
- 8Roll the structure over to the other side; use the heavy objects to stabilize the structure. Cover the remaining side with a layer of sugar glue and candy pieces. Allow this side to harden.
- 9Turn the structure upright. Use hot glue to attach candies over the top of the floral foam. Cover the foam completely all the way out to the rim of the pot.
- 10Wrap 1-inch ribbon around the outer rim of the pot. Attach the ribbon to the pot using hot glue. Sprinkle edible glitter over the top of the egg shape and the candy-covered foam base.
- 11Store the candy arrangement in the refrigerator when not in use to prevent the sugar from melting in heat or humidity.