Turkey and Barley Soup
- large carrots, sliced into chunky
- medium red potatos , quartered and sliced into chunks
- onion roughly chopped
- celery stalks, sliced chunky
- 1 c
- pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp
- herbes de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 c
- turkey broth/stock
- 3 c
- cooked turkey, pulled into chunks
How to Make Turkey and Barley Soup
- 1I made my turkey stock from scratch but you can use store bought if you want. Put your broth in a pot and turn on medium to warm it.
- 2Chop all of your veggies, I always chop mine in medium sized chunks. Add your veggies carefully to the warm broth, add your herbes de provence and salt and pepper to taste, bring this to a simmer, for about 5 minutes, then add the pearl barley and simmer on low for about an hour, stirring occasionally, or until the barley is tender and soup thickens up a bit. I add the turkey the last 5 minutes so it doesnt break up. If the broth gets too thick, especially if you have leftovers the next day, you can add a little more broth or some water.
I actually like this soup better the next day.