Summer Squash and Sausage Casserole
Virginia (Ginger) Dean
- 8 c
- summer squash, sliced
- 1 lb
- honeysuckle® italian turkey sausage
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 oz
- cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 small
- vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 c
- bread crumbs, (i used kings hawaiian®)
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- to taste
- black pepper
How to Make Summer Squash and Sausage Casserole
- 1Cook squash in a small amount of boiling water. Drain squash, then chop with a serrated hand held chopper, or mash with a fork. Meanwhile, brown turkey sausage in a skillet.
Mix squash and turkey sausage together.
- 2Add 2 ounces of cheese, eggs, onion, salt and pepper. Stir together and place in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- 3Melt butter in small pan and add bread crumbs and remaining 1 oz. cheese. Sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
Note: If the casserole seems too dry you can add a little of your reserved water from your cooked squash. You can also substitute breakfast sausage for the Italian sausage if you prefer. If you are following Weight Watchers...this recipe is 7 points.