Herb and spice rubbed Turkey
1/4-1/2 colive oil
1 tspgraulated garlic
1 tspgranulated onion
1/2 tspdry sage
1/2 tsppoultry seasoning
1/2 tspcracked black pepper
1 Tbspmrs. dash original blend
How to Make Herb and spice rubbed Turkey
- TURKEY THAWING TIMES-Approximately
8 to 12 pounds......1 to 2 days in refrigerator
10 to 16 pounds.....2 to 3 days in refrigerator
16 to 20 pounds.....3 to 4 days in refrigerator
20 to 24 pounds.....4 to 5 days in refrigerator
- Cut carrots and celery in 4 or 5 pcs. each. Cut onion into quarters. I don't bother to peel carrots or take skin off of onion or garlic.
Mix together olive oil and all spices in small bowl.
- Remove gizzards from inside bird as well as neck from inside the neck cavity. Rinse bird off with water, make sure to drain water out of cavity. Pat dry with paper towels. Using 1/3 of the rub mix, pour into cavity and rub well. Place most of the carrots, celery, onions and the garlic into cavity until filled up. Place the remainder in the neck cavity. (You can boil the neck and gizzards to make broth if desired, discard liver, it will cause your broth to be bitter).
- Using your fingers, gently go between skin and meat on both sides of turkey breast and seperate the skin from the meat, being careful not to rip the skin. If you have a really large bird, you might need to make a small incision in the neck flap skin and to seperate the skin from meat on the other end of the breast. Now using part of your rub, place some under the skin on both sides of the turkey breast rubbing into the meat. Once you've done that, make sure your bird is good and dry (using paper towels) and rub remainder of oil and spices on the skin of the bird.
- Place on lowest rack in oven if using roasting pan with rack inside. If baking flat on the bottom of a pan, place on the next higher rack. Make a "tent" out of foil to place loosely on top of bird, this will keep turkey from browning too much on top. Place about 2c of water in bottom of roaster, you will need to add water every so often.
- Bake on 400° for 30 min., then reduce heat to 325°, here is a chart for approximate baking times:
TURKEY ROASTING TIMES
6 to 8 pounds......2-1/2 to 3 hours
8 to 12 pounds.....3 to 4 hours
12 to 16 pounds....4 to 5 hours
16 to 20 pounds....5 to 5-1/2 hours
20 to 24 pounds....5-1/2 to 6 hours
Always use a meat thermometer to gauge doneness.
For an unstuffed turkey, place the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, taking care that it does not touch any bone. Roast the turkey until the meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees F.