Black-eyed Peas, Iris's
1 pkgturkey tails, cured (4-5)
1 pkg14oz black-eyed peas, soaked,cleaned, rinsed
2 mediumonion,diced fine
1 largebell pepper, diced fine
2 Tbspgarlic, minced
2 Tbsptony charcerrie's cajun seasoning
4 Tbspglory's green seasoning 3+ 3reserved
2 Tbspcrushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Black-eyed Peas, Iris's
- Gather your ingredients. Rinse turkey tails well and cover with cold water. Next take half of all your seasonings and 1 cup of the onion, 1 cup of the bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the garlic. Add these to the pot, cover with the lid and cook over medium heat, 1&1/2 hours
- Get the soaked peas and clean thru them removing any small stones and irregular peas out of the way. Next, hit the treadmill or read a few chapters while your tails are cooking.
- Remove tails from the pot to a platter so they don't cook to death. Add your peas and cook over medium heat covered for 1 hour.
- Check after 1 hour, likker should be thickening up, if liquid level is too low, add either water (2 cups) or chicken stock. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Turn heat to low cover and let peas go another hour, in that last hour, return your tails to the pot, at the 30 minute mark check the peas for tenderness. Cut the pot off and let them continue to do there stuff. Leave the lid on.
- At 3&1/2 hours the peas should be done. Remeber that as the peas cool down the flavor sets, so be mindful of your seasoning. I chop onion and pepper over mine, you do you. I hope you enjoy.