PANCHO’S CANTINA’S TORTILLA CRUSTED FISH TACOS
Fish tacos are a reliable choice for a dinner that will please, whether it is for your family or entertaining a crowd.
Serve with a side of black beans for a great weeknight meal.
·2-3 firm fish fillets (tilapia, catfish etc)
·1 dozen soft white corn tortillas
·finely shredded cabbage (red or white)
·fresh tomato salsa (homemade or store bought)
FOR TORTILLA CRUST:
·12 oz. tortilla chips
·½ medium onion
·1 medium red pepper
·1 medium poblano chile (or green pepper)
·leaves from 4-6 stems of fresh cilantro
·1 tbls. fresh lime juice
·1 tsp. chipotle flavored hot sauce (tabasco or cholula chipotle)
·2 tbls. olive oil
How to Make PANCHO’S CANTINA’S TORTILLA CRUSTED FISH TACOS
- METHOD for CORN CRUST TOPPING: may be prepared ahead, and held in refrigerator
- Place tortilla chips in food processor and pulse until coursly ground, remove half and reserve then grind remaining chips until very fine and reserve separately
- Roughly dice onion and peppers or chilies, add lime juice, hot sauce and cilantro and process until uniformly small (but not totally pureed).
- Heat olive oil in medium sauté pan or pot, add vegetable mixture and sauté 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and gently mix in the finely ground tortilla chips. Let cool a few minutes as liquid is absorbed
- When cool, mix in course chips and set aside
- Season fillets with salt and pepper, press a layer or tortilla vegetable mix on top of each fillet to completely cover.
- Preheat Broiler to High: Place crusted fillets under broiler close to heat source until crust is well browned, fish will probably not be cooked.
- Remove and hold (can also be prepared up to a day ahead and held in refrigerator.
- TO FINISH TACOS: When cool (or cold) slice Fish into finger sized strips. In a skillet or smooth griddle, place fish strips flesh side down to finish cooking.
- At the same time, warm tortillas in same skillet. Place some shredded cabbage on 2 warm tortillas overlapped, top with fresh salsa and 2 fish strips. Squeeze fresh lime on top and enjoy.