PANCHO’S CANTINA’S TORTILLA CRUSTED FISH TACOS
Fish tacos are a reliable choice for a dinner that will please, whether it is for your family or entertaining a crowd.
Serve with a side of black beans for a great weeknight meal.
- 2-3 firm fish fillets (tilapia, catfish etc)
- 1 dozen soft white corn tortillas
- finely shredded cabbage (red or white)
- fresh tomato salsa (homemade or store bought)
- 12 oz. tortilla chips
- ½ medium onion
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium poblano chile (or green pepper)
- leaves from 4-6 stems of fresh cilantro
- 1 tbls. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. chipotle flavored hot sauce (tabasco or cholula chipotle)
- 2 tbls. olive oil
FOR TORTILLA CRUST:
How to Make PANCHO’S CANTINA’S TORTILLA CRUSTED FISH TACOS
- 1METHOD for CORN CRUST TOPPING: may be prepared ahead, and held in refrigerator
- 2Place tortilla chips in food processor and pulse until coursly ground, remove half and reserve then grind remaining chips until very fine and reserve separately
- 3Roughly dice onion and peppers or chilies, add lime juice, hot sauce and cilantro and process until uniformly small (but not totally pureed).
- 4Heat olive oil in medium sauté pan or pot, add vegetable mixture and sauté 5 minutes
- 5Remove from heat and gently mix in the finely ground tortilla chips. Let cool a few minutes as liquid is absorbed
- 6When cool, mix in course chips and set aside
- 7Season fillets with salt and pepper, press a layer or tortilla vegetable mix on top of each fillet to completely cover.
- 8Preheat Broiler to High: Place crusted fillets under broiler close to heat source until crust is well browned, fish will probably not be cooked.
- 9Remove and hold (can also be prepared up to a day ahead and held in refrigerator.
- 10TO FINISH TACOS: When cool (or cold) slice Fish into finger sized strips. In a skillet or smooth griddle, place fish strips flesh side down to finish cooking.
- 11At the same time, warm tortillas in same skillet. Place some shredded cabbage on 2 warm tortillas overlapped, top with fresh salsa and 2 fish strips. Squeeze fresh lime on top and enjoy.