New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2-1/2 Tbsp
- creole seasoning, divided
- 1-1/2 lb
- wild american shrimp (43/50 size)
- 1/2 c
- plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 c
- wondra flour
- 2 medium
- bell peppers , finely chopped
- 1 large
- onion, finely chopped
- 4 stalk(s)
- celery plus 2 inside stalks with leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large
- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 c
- reserved shrimp broth
- 1 c
- smoked paprika
- 1 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 10 oz
- frozen sliced okra
- 2 Tbsp
- tabasco sauce or other hot sauce
- salt to taste
- 3 c
- cooked long grain rice
- 1 bunch
- green onions (tops and bottoms, finely chopped for garnish
- 0 bottle
- tabasco sauce on side
How to Make New Orleans Cajun Seafood Gumbo
- 1Heat water 3/4 full in 6 quart Dutch oven. Add 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning* to water. Sir mixture and let it come to full boil. *for testing purposes I used Zatarain's
- 2Add 1-1/2 pounds Wild American shrimp with shells on 43/50 size. Cook until they barely turn pink. Remove from pot to cool. Reserve shrimp stock water.
- 3Peel shrimp and add peels back to stock. Boil for 7 minutes. Strain shrimp broth with colander. Reserve for use in gumbo.
- 4Heat 1/2 cups oil until hot on medium-high heat in iron skillet. Add flour and stir well. Stir and cook until color of roux you desire. Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups shrimp broth stirring well. Set aside.
- 5In Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers, celery, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 7 minutes stirring often. Add 3 cups broth.
- 6Stir in 1/2 cup of roux at a time stirring well after each addition.
- 7Add smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, Tabasco sauce, and salt to taste.
- 8Add okra and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- 9Add shrimp, crawfish, and crab meat. Cook 2 minutes.
- 10To serve, place generous portion of cooked rice in bowls. Ladle gumbo on top of rice.
- 11Garnish with chopped green onions and serve additional Tabasco sauce on side.