Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwiches w/Fig Jam for 2
4 slicerustic white bread (i baked my own)
1/2-1 Tbspdark aged balsamic vinegar, approximately (trader joe's brand-red label)
3 Tbspfig jam (i like trader joe's brand)
2 slicefontina cheese
1 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspbutter (not margarine)
·pancetta, prosciutto, bacon strips or tempeh bacon
·mixed greens, arugula, etc.
How to Make Fontina Grilled Cheese Sandwiches w/Fig Jam for 2
- Combine the balsamic vinegar with the fig jam. Divide and spread the jam mixture on two slices of bread.
- Add the fontina cheese slices (or grate the cheese) on top of the jam. If using the pancetta or other meat option and the lettuce, add it now to the sandwiches.
- Place the other slice of bread of top of each sandwich.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil or a little of both.
- Brown the sandwiches on each side about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove sandwiches to a cutting board. Cut in half or quarters and enjoy.