Wilted Lettuce & Onion Salad with Bacon
I like this, too- just not as much as the Mommy or GMa *smile* and ENJOY!
This can be a main dish, side dish, snack or salad before main course- you be the judge on when and how much to serve.
This is a very old recipe and I am sure I am probably not the first one to post this, or this variation of wilted lettuce salad. Folks in these parts often pronounced 'salad' as Salat ( Elizabethian English spoken dialect in these old hills and mountains)
- 2 Tbsp
- melted bacon grease
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 qt
- shredded lettuce (you can use leaf or bib) also used are spinach leaves or garden greens of almost anykind. wild greens can also be used if you normally use those
- chopped green onions
- 1 or 2 slice
- cooked bacon, crumbled or chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste and any other season you prefer
- chopped boiled eggs and other normal salad ingredients you may prefer also after the dressing has been poured atop the salad ingredients
How to Make Wilted Lettuce & Onion Salad with Bacon
- 1Either using bacon just fried up (OR) saved bacon grease from your crock.
Heat dressing ingedients (bacon grease, sugar & vinegar) to boil point atop the stove.
- 2Heat to boiling point and pour over 1 1/2 quarts shredded lettuce, 3 green onions, chopped and bacon crumbles (if you prefer). Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix.
- 3Serve at once, otherwise you get grease globs atop your lettuce, onion and bacon.
- 4NOTE: This is copied as written, so for the 1 1/2 Quarts of shredded lettuce, spinach or greens, you will just have to 'eyeball' it or try to measure out in a quart jar. Just sharing as written out, play around with this, change up ingredients for salad, etc. Make it your own and enjoy! Thanks, Diana