Warm Piggy Casserole
- 1 lb slice
- cooked ham and/or cooked kielbasa
- 1 med. slice
- white or yellow onion
- 5 large slice
- 4 Tbsp
- bacon drippings
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c
- frozen vegetables (optional)
- 1/2 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded ( optional )
How to Make Warm Piggy Casserole
- 1To prep; peel and slice raw potatoes in coin cuts, set aside. Do the same to onion, and if using ham; cut into 1/2 inch chunks, if using kielbsa go for same coin cut. Set aside.
- 2Heat bacon dripping in cast iron skillet , on med low heat. At this point sprinkle in a bit of the sliced onions. Carmelize them. Turn off heat.
- 3Now start to layer potatoes first at bottom of pan, on top of cooked onions, sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Next layer over potatoe the meat , then onion slices. Seasoning each layer lightly. Last layer should be the meat.
- 4Add just enough water to half fill the pan ( easier if on on rack, or oven door ( it's a very heavy pan.). If you are using ham...sprinkle on cheddar cheese over meat. Cover with oven proof top. Set oven for 350 F. and steam cook for about 35 to 45 minutes.
- 5If you are using kielbsa , all can be done on stove top. I have never added cheese to this veriation, it's up to you. Both recipes can have other vegetable added or not, again up to you.
- 6To serve :sprinkle with parsley, home made corn bread goes well with this, also any hard breads. There is supposed to be some pot liquer in pot. have melted butter for the bread. Hint, sometimes I add a small pad of butter to richen the pot.