SUPER GOOD BLACK BEANS & RICE
1 lbdry black beans
1/2 to 1 lbsalt pork, or ham, diced
1 mediumonion, diced
2 clovegarlic, minced
1 mediumcelery stalk, diced
1 3/4 tspsalt
1/4 tspcrushed red pepper
1 1/2 cuncooked rice
2 Tbspchopped parsley
How to Make SUPER GOOD BLACK BEANS & RICE
- About 4 hours before serving, rinse beans in running cold water and discard any stones or shriveled beans. In an 8-qt. Dutch oven over high heat, bring beans and 8 cups water to a boil; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, drain and rinse beans; set aside. In the same Dutch oven over medium heat, cook salt pork or ham until lightly browned. Add onion, celery, and garlic, and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return beans to Dutch oven; add salt, red pepper, and 5-1/2 cups water. Over high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Prepare rice as directed on package. To serve, spoon bean mixture into a deep dish. Arrange cooked rice around beans. Garnish with chopped parsley. Add a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- NOTE: Beans may be soaked in 8 cups water overnight if you don't have time to parboil. After they have soaked overnight, proceed to direction #2.