"STAR" QUALITY RED BEANS & RICE
- 2 c
- basmati rice
- 3 c
- 2 can(s)
- (15 oz. ea.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 c
- vegetable broth
- apple sage sausages (can buy at whole foods)
- italian sausages
- 1 Tbsp
- safflower oil
- white onion, diced medium
- 6-inch celery stalks, diced
- 4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- chili powder
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c
- thinly sliced scallions (green onions)
How to Make "STAR" QUALITY RED BEANS & RICE
- 1Rinse the rice; then bring rice and water to a boil in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- 2In a blender, puree three-quarters of the beans in 4 cups broth until smooth.
- 3Cut the sausages into quarters, lengthwise, then crosswise to dice.
- 4Heat the oil in a large stew pot over high heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Add sausage, chili powder, thyme, bean puree, remaining beans and bell pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 5Season with salt and pepper. Serve over the rice, garnished with scallions.