Slow Cooker Pork Chop & Sweet Potato Casserole
This one sounds really good... I have not tried it, but I think I may in the not distant future.
This recipe is for a 4 qt slow cooker, reduce quantities for smaller one, and increase for larger. The cooking times remain the same.
6 to 8pork chops
to tastesalt and pepper
2 mediumsweet potatoes, peeled and sliced, (can use white potatoes if prefer)
1 largeonion, sliced
1 largegreen bell pepper, sliced
1/2 tspleaf oregano
1/4 tspwhole thyme
11 lb-can of tomatoes
How to Make Slow Cooker Pork Chop & Sweet Potato Casserole
- Trim visible fat from the pork chops, season with salt and pepper and brown in skillet to remove excess fat. Drain and place in slow cooker.
- NOTE: From reading the guidelines in the slow cooker cook book, you do not have to brown the meat before adding to the pot -- a time saver -- but you will need to remove the excess grease from the pot, later, after it is cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients in order listed.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (High: 3 to 4 hours) Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
- Alternatives: You can also cut the pork into 1.5-inch pieces and cube the sweet potatoes if you like
- Flavor Alternatives: You may substitute below for above spices:
1/2 Cup unsweetened orange juice
2 shallots, green ends chopped
1 tsp cumin seed
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped