Sausages with Kale and White Beans
This recipe comes from Everyday Food Magazine (a Martha Stewart mag) and it was very quick and easy. I made a few changes, as I usually do, which I will note here.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 large
- bunch of kale, stems removed, chopped
- 4 clove
- garlic, sliced thin
- 1 large
- yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 tsp
- smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 lb
- sweet italian sausages (about 8 links - i used 5 of these and 2 andouille for added kick!)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can(s)
- cannellini beans (15 oz - white kidney beans)
- 2 Tbsp
- white wine vinegar
How to Make Sausages with Kale and White Beans
- 1Remove thick stems from kale, and discard. Chop kale; wash and dry. Peel and thinly slice garlic, combine with kale in a large bowl (or you can do this ahead of time and put the kale and garlic in a plastic baggie).
- 2Heat broiler, with racks set 4 inches from heat. With a fork, pierce sausages all over; place on a broilerproof rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- 3While sausages are cooking, heat oil in a large skillet (I used a large, deep pan) over medium-high heat. (At this point I added one finely chopped onion, which the recipe does not include). Add kale, garlic, and 1/2 C water, season with salt and pepper to taste. (I used chicken broth instead of water for extra flavor - the broth has salt so season accordingly. I also added my "secret seasoning weapon...1 tsp of smoked paprika!). Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until kale is wilted and tender, 10 -12 minutes (I let it cook for about 20). Drain and rinse beans, add to skillet along with vinegar. Cook, uncovered, tossing gently until beans are heated through, about 2 minutes.