Sauerkraut N' Smokies
- 1 qt.
- 2 pkgs.
- lit'l smokies
- golden delicious apples, cored, peeled, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup
- brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tsp.
- 2 Tbl.
- 1 tsp.
- caraway seed
How to Make Sauerkraut N' Smokies
- 1Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Drain and rinse sauerkraut, pressing out liquid; set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, sauté apples and onion in margarine 3 to 4 minutes until apples are just tender.
- 2When apple mixture is tender, add Kraut, and mix thoroughly. Add brown sugar and caraway seed. Stir until sugar is melted. Put sauerkraut into a 13x9 baking dish.
- 3Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven, allow to cool 5 minutes before serving. Note: Sometimes I add 8 oz. Swiss cheese slices on top, depending on whether I have it on hand or not. Also, on occasion, I use 1 cup of pear preserves instead of apples for variety.