Portuguese Pork Loin Sandwich (Bifes de porco)
- 1 1/2 kg
- pork loin fillets - thinly sliced by your butcher
- 2 large
- white onions, sliced in rings
- 4 clove
- garlic, finely chopped/crushed
- 1 Tbsp
- crushed chilis
- 1 Tbsp
- course sea salt
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1/2 c
- red wine vinegar + 2 tablespoons for cooking process
- 1/2 c
- sunflower oil (or vegatable oil will do)
How to Make Portuguese Pork Loin Sandwich (Bifes de porco)
- 1In a pyrex casserole, sprinkle half of the chopped garlic, pepper flakes, salt and a dash of vinegar.
- 2Layer with the fillets and alternate the ingredients between layers. Cover and place in the fridge over night or in an hour if to be made on same day.
- 3Heat up the oil in a heavy pan at medium heat. Lower if the first fillet starts splashing too much.
- 4Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- 5Place as many fillets in the pan and let cook about 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 6When the first batch of fillets are cooked place in a casserole and put in the warm oven.
- 7Once all fillets are fried, place the sliced onion in the pan with the same oil used for the fillets on medium heat.
- 8Once onions are browned, add the tomato paste and stir until the oil has a red tinge. Pour about 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and let it burn off for about 2 minutes. Take off heat.
- 9Remove the fillets from the oven and pour the onion mixture over the fillets. You may put in the oven on BROIL for 2 minutes to caramelize the onion.
- 10Serve the fillets in a toasted and crusty bun.