Portuguese Pork Loin Sandwich (Bifes de porco)
1 1/2 kgpork loin fillets - thinly sliced by your butcher
2 largewhite onions, sliced in rings
4 clovegarlic, finely chopped/crushed
1 Tbspcrushed chilis
1 Tbspcourse sea salt
2 Tbsptomato paste
1/2 cred wine vinegar + 2 tablespoons for cooking process
1/2 csunflower oil (or vegatable oil will do)
How to Make Portuguese Pork Loin Sandwich (Bifes de porco)
- In a pyrex casserole, sprinkle half of the chopped garlic, pepper flakes, salt and a dash of vinegar.
- Layer with the fillets and alternate the ingredients between layers. Cover and place in the fridge over night or in an hour if to be made on same day.
- Heat up the oil in a heavy pan at medium heat. Lower if the first fillet starts splashing too much.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Place as many fillets in the pan and let cook about 4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- When the first batch of fillets are cooked place in a casserole and put in the warm oven.
- Once all fillets are fried, place the sliced onion in the pan with the same oil used for the fillets on medium heat.
- Once onions are browned, add the tomato paste and stir until the oil has a red tinge. Pour about 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and let it burn off for about 2 minutes. Take off heat.
- Remove the fillets from the oven and pour the onion mixture over the fillets. You may put in the oven on BROIL for 2 minutes to caramelize the onion.
- Serve the fillets in a toasted and crusty bun.