PORK ROAST, SCANDINAVIAN STYLE (SALLYE)
It is a good way to put a little variety in your pork meals.
3 TO 3-1/2 lbboneless pork loin roast
8 to 10 mediumpitted dried prunes
1 tsplemon juice
1/2 tspsea salt
1/2 tspground black pepper
How to Make PORK ROAST, SCANDINAVIAN STYLE (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Place pork loin on cutting board. Using strong, sharp knife, cut pocket in pork about 1" deep lengthwise, going to within 1/2" of the two ends.
Rub all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine prunes, beer and ginger and heat to boiling. When mixtures comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- Core, peel and chop apple.
Mix with lemon juice to prevent darkening
- Drain prunes, reserving the liquid for basting purposes.
Mix prunes with apples.
- Place fruit mixture in pocket, using handle of wooden spoon to pack tightly.
Secure with skewers or sew with kitchen twine to close.
- Place meat on rack in a roasting dish or pan.
Roast at 350º F for 2 to 2-1/2 hours (40 to 45 minutes per pound).
- During last 45 minutes of cooking, spoon the fat from pan; baste roast occasionally with liquid drained from prunes.
- Transfer meat to serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid.
Add a little water to roasting pan to deglaze (loosen brown bits).
Pour water into a 2+ mixing cup. Add more water if needed to make 2 cups of liquid.
Pour back into pan.
- Make a paste using flour and more water.
Pour into roasting pan with existing liquid, stirring constantly with wooden spoon until it thickens into a gravy. Add more water a tablespoon at a time if gravy gets too thick.
- Serve gravy in a gravy boat with sliced meat.