Pigs in a Bacon Sweater and Stuffed with Cheese
I wanted something just over the top for Super bowl snacking, tail gating, and just plain good eating.
Nice go withs are sauerkraut,( see below) diced raw onions, mustard, slaw, more cheddar, diced, and salsa.
For sauerkrut, I take a 14.5 ounce can, add some caraway seeds, and about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat
How to Make Pigs in a Bacon Sweater and Stuffed with Cheese
- In each brat make a slit about 2 1/2 inch to 3 inches long, do not go all the way to the ends.
- In each pocket put a piece of cheese,wrap a piece of bacon around each Brat, making sure to completely cover the cheese in the pocket. If the cheese isn't covered, it will leak out.
- Secure the bacon with a toothpick, this will come out later.
- Pre heat deep fat fryer to 375 degrees, and fry until bacon is golden, and brat is done.
- Of course you can fry them on the stove top in oil too, but I prefer the deep fry because it just gets things so perfectly crispy