Philippines - Lechon Kawali - (Pan-Roasted Pork)
Lechon kawali or Pan-roasted pork is different from Lechon, which is the national dish of the Philippines. Lechon is cooked in a pit filled with flamed charcoal, while Lechon Kawali is cooked by boiling the pork belly then later deep frying it. This dish is best served with traditional lechon sauce or spicy vinegar.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1-1/2 lb. pork liempo (pork belly), cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. salt
- water, for boiling
- oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2-1/2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- chili peppers (optional)
How to Make Philippines - Lechon Kawali - (Pan-Roasted Pork)
- 1Put pork pieces in a big pot. Cover with water. Add garlic, pepper or peppercorns and salt.
- 2Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for an hour or until meat is tender. Drain.
- 3Deep-fry liempo (pork) pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on skin.
- 4Drain on paper towels.
- 5Mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- 6Serve with the chopped pork.