Pam's Pork Roast and Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 medium
- sweet potato (about 6-8 oz or so)
- 8 to 12 oz
- pork roast, cooked (enough to make about 2 cups coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 small
- onion, chopped
- 1/2 large
- red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- each butter and bacon fat
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Pam's Pork Roast and Sweet Potato Hash
- 1Pierce sweet potato in a couple of places, wrap in damp paper towel, place in microwave. Cook on high for about 2 minutes and let set for 5 minutes until slightly tender when you squeeze. Want to partially cook, but not to where it is mushy.
- 2Wash and chop the onion and pepper, set aside. Slice cooked pork roast in about 1/2 to 3/4 " slices, then dice into cubes, set aside.
Peel and chop the sweet potato into about the same size cubes as pork.
- 3In a 10 inch skillet on medium high, heat bacon grease and butter until foaming, add the cubed sweet potato so there is some space between cubes. Allow to brown and turn gently with a flat spatula to brown all sides. (Turn down the heat to medium if it starts to smoke or burn.) Cook until cubes are brown and tender. Remove potato cubes from pan and reserve.
- 4(If the pan got too hot, tip the pan slightly and wipe out darkened bits with a wad of paper towels trying to leave any oil remaining. Careful, HOT!)
Add olive oil to pan and start to saute the onion and pepper until softened. Add a little salt and pepper. Then add the pork cubes to the pan and let heat and slightly brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and cook for a minute or two. Place the browned sweet potato cubes back in the pan for a couple of minutes to reheat, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.