Maw-Maw's True Louisiana Cajun Dirty Rice
I came across some other recipes here and I wanted to share how a true Cajun made her dirty rice. It is delicious and flavorful. It is the essence of Cajun cuisine. It doesn't have to be spicy to be Cajun, but you can sure add some heat if you would like.
2 lbground round
1 lbground pork
1 lbchicken livers, boiled and chopped
2 lbchicken gizzards, boiled and ground
2 bunchgreen onions, chopped
1 bunchparsley, chopped
1 largeyellow onion, chopped
64 ozchicken broth
4 clong grain white rice
How to Make Maw-Maw's True Louisiana Cajun Dirty Rice
- Brown ground beef and ground pork together. Then add livers and gizzards and brown those a little.
- Add yellow onion and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add broth, parsley, and green onions. Cook until meat is tender and broth has reduced by a third.
- While broth is reducing, cook four cups of long grain white rice in a rice cooker if available (NOT PARBOILED RICE)
- When rice is done and broth has reduced by a third, add about a cup of rice at a time, mixing thoroughly. Add enough rice until mixture is still wet and there is a good proportion of rice to meat.