Lasagna - Cassie's Way
My family and friends love it!
Many, many requests for this lasagna for graduation parties.
If you're going to take the time to make this..take just an extra 30 minutes and make your own meatballs. They are what gives the sauce it's deliciousness..well, that and the sauce is homemade also.
- 2 - 3 jar(s)
- spaghetti sauce, meatless...i use 2 - 2 1/2 quart sized jars of my homemade sauce.
- 1 can(s)
- crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 c
- onions, diced
- 1/2 c
- red or green bell pepper, diced
- 10 - 12
- meatballs, homemade or store bought..homemade are best or you can just use 1 pound ground beef.
- links, italian or hot sausage, casings removed and pull apart into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 4 oz
- fresh mushrooms sliced ( optional)
- 10 - 15 slice
- pepperoni, sliced in half
- hot pepper flakes ( optional)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 32 oz
- whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 oz
- frozen or fresh spinach, ( optional), if frozen, thaw and squeeze our excess moisture
- 1/3 c
- fresh parsley, chopped, or parsley flakes
- 1 c
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp
- dried basil or italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 8 oz
- provalone cheese slices
- 2 - 3 c
- shredded mozzarella, or any itlalian shredded cheese
- 1/2 c
- shredded parmesan
- 2 - 8 oz
- boxes of oven ready lasagna noodles. or boil 16 ounces of lasagna noodles according to package
- basil, parsley, parmesan for on top
FOR THE SAUCE
OTHER INGREDIENTS FOR LAYERING
How to Make Lasagna - Cassie's Way
- 8Meanwhile; in the same pot, brown your peppers, garlic, mushrooms. Add the sausage back to the pot along with the pulled apart meatballs.
If you are not using meatballs and just ground beef, now is the time to add it to the vegetables. Make sure you season it real well though. Mind you much of the flavor in the sauce comes from the meatballs and the Italian sausage.
- 16You may cover with foil for the first 30 minutes, then take foil off and bake another 25 to 30 minutes, till bubbly and cooked through. Naturally, if you use a smaller pan and less layers, it will cook faster.
I didn't cover mine as I like it to get golden.
After removing from the oven, place on cooling rack to set up, for 5 - 10 minutes. Cut and enjoy that meaty, cheesy goodness.
If there is any remaining sauce left, heat back up in a saucepan if you want more sauce when serving.
- 17I served mine with a small tossed salad and cheese garlic bread..
Do not let this long list of instructions deter you from trying. I just like being precise for those that may be making their first attempt at lasagna. It's a lot easier to make, than explaining how to. LOL!
I actually like this better the next day. It gives the meatballs time to spread their flavor throughout the lasagna...mmm mmm mm!
It freezes well also.
If making a smaller pan of lasagna, just scale down the ingredients.