J. White Harris
- 2 to 3 lb
- fresh oxtail cut-up or 4 pieces pork hocks
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp
- onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp
- bagoong (fish sauce) or salt to taste
- 1 small
- eggplant, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 lb
- fresh green beans
- 1/3 c
- peanut butter
How to Make Kare-Kare
- 1Boil the meat in 5 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt until tender (1 hour).
- 2In a large skillet saute garlic and onion in hot oil until brown. Spoon out the meat from the liquid and add to the garlic onion mixture. Saute.
- 3Add bagoong and saute for another 3 minutes. Add meat/onion/bagoong mixture back to stewing water. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 4Add eggplant and green beans and cook til tender. Reduce heat and stir in peanut butter. Mix well and simmer 5 minutes. Serve with white rice and extra bagoong.