Hungarian Cabbage Rolls
1 pkgground pork
1 lbground hamburger
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 can(s)stewed tomatoes
1/2 lbcooked bacon, torn into about 1 inch pieces
1 crice, uncooked
1 largecabbage head
How to Make Hungarian Cabbage Rolls
- Boil water in large kettle. Cut out the core of the cabbage and place the cabbage into the boiling water. Peal off the leaves as they become pliable.
- During the boiling of the cabbage. Mix the hamburger, (I have used ground deer meat and it is delicious), the pork, onion and rice. Add your choice of spices; salt, pepper, bouquet garni, garlic. Mix well.
- As the cabbage leaves become ready just add as much filling as you can and still be able to roll the cabbage over the filling. You can use toothpicks to hold them together, but don't forget to remove them before serving.
- Put one can of the stewed tomatoes in the bottom of a 13"x9" (preferably glass) baking dish. Put the cabbage rolls on top. Pour the other can of stewed tomatoes over the cabbage rolls. Place the bacon pieces over the cabbage rolls, and then sprinkle the sauerkraut over everything. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1.5 hours.