Homemade Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 tsp
- fennel seed
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped parsley leaves
- 2 lb
- pork butt(2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4 inch pieces
- feet of 36 millimeter collagen casings(do not allow to get wet at any time)
- shortening to lubricate nozzle of stuffer
- meat grinder with stuffing attachment or manual stuffer
How to Make Homemade Italian Sausage
- 1Toast fennel seed in medium,heavy sauté pan over medium heat, constantly moving seeds around in pan until they start to turn light brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool, grind seeds and combine with salt, pepper and chopped parsley in medium mixing bowl. Add pork and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork mixture. After lubricating stuffer of stuffing attachment with shortening, load casing onto attachment, clipping end with a clothespin. Stuff meat into casings, trying to avoid air pockets. After stuffing is finished, lay out on counter and tie off end. Pinch and twist to form 4-inch sausages. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Store in refrigerator for use within 2 or 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, wrap in foil. If using immediately, sauté over medium heat in a heavy sauté pan with 1/4 inch of water. Bring water to a boil, put on lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking over medium heat, turning every 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Sausage should reach an internal temperature of 150^ to 156^ when cooked.
If interested I have recipes for 80 lbs. pork sausage
Summer sausage and
From my German friends the Engelhardt's.