Ham, Brussels Sprouts & Apples 1-Dish Meal
2 Tbspolive oil
2 mediumthin-skinned potato, e.g. red skin potatoes
1 mediumyellow onion
1/2 mediumred bell pepper
6-8 ozham, preferably smoked ham
1/2 tspfreshly ground pepper
1 tspcurry powder
10-14 mediumbrussels sprouts
How to Make Ham, Brussels Sprouts & Apples 1-Dish Meal
- Heat the olive oil, over medium heat, in a large skillet with lid. Keep the lid off until the water is added. Preparing the ingredients one at a time in the order given and adding them one at a time will provide the proper cooking times for the different ingredients.
- Leaving the skins on, wash and cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch dice. Add the potatoes to the hot oil.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and add to the pan, stirring them into the potatoes.
- Peel and mince the garlic and add to the pan, again stirring to mix.
- Wash and remove the seeds from the red bell pepper. Cut into 1/2-inch dice and add to the pan, again stirring the mixture.
- Wash and cut the apple into wedges. Remove the core and slice the wedges into thin slices. Add the apple to the pan and stir to mix.
- Dice the ham and add to the pan, stirring to combine. Allow this mixture to cook until the onions are translucent and the potatoes have started to brown.
- Add the salt, pepper, curry powder, and water. Stir to mix. Turn the heat to medium low. Cover the pan to steam while you prepare the brussels sprouts.
- Cut the hard stem end and discard any tough or blemished outer leaves from the brussels sprouts. Cut the sprouts into quarters, cutting especially large sprouts into sixths or eighths. Wash the brussels sprouts and add the wet sprouts to the pan.
- Mix the sprouts into the mixture, replace the cover, and steam until the sprouts are cooked but still firm. Test a sprout for doneness at 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.