2 lbboneless pork butt
1 mediumwhite onion, diced
4 largerusset potatoes, peeled & cubed into bite size pieces
12green chiles (jalapeno, poblano or anaheim)
1 Tbspgarlic powder
2 Tbspchicken bouillon
2 Tbspcooking oil
·flour to coat meat
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make GREEN CHILI STEW BY SALLYE
- Grill chiles in heavy (cast iron is perfect) dutch oven until skin is turning black. Remove from heat and place in paper bag. Set aside.
- Cut pork butt into bite size pieces and dredge in flour seasoned with salt & pepper
Place 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in same skillet you used to grill chiles and heat on medium high.
Transfer dredged meat into heated skillet. Cook until brown on all sides, stirring often to avoid burning.
Remove meat from skillet and set aside temporarily
- Add onions and potatoes to skillet and cook until vegetables are browned.
- While vegetables are browning, remove chiles from paper bag.
Peel (remove skin), cut in half and remove seeds and veins, then finely chop.
- When vegetables are browned, add meat back to pan and stir to blend with vegetables
Add chiles, garlic powder, bouillon, salt & pepper, and water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook for about 2 hours until meat is tender
If you like thicker gravy type stew, you can thicken up with 3 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water and added to stew.
- You may add chopped fresh cilantro the last ten minutes of cooking for a zippier taste.
- If used as a main dish, cook a big old pan of cornbread to go with.