Grandma's Cabbage-Wrapped Pork Roast
1 largehead green cabbage (3 pounds)
1 bunchgreen onions
1 Tbspfinely chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/4 tsppepper or fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tspsalt
1boneless pork loin roast ( 3 pounds ), timmed
1cube or envelope chicken flavor bouillon dissolved in 2 cups of hot water
8 mediumred potatoes, cubed with skin on
·torn pieces of the rest of the cabbage
1 Tbspvegeable oil
1 tspcaraway seeds, crushed
How to Make Grandma's Cabbage-Wrapped Pork Roast
- Remove six large outer leaves from cabbage; trim touch ribs from leaves. Reserve remaining cabbage.
- Cut off root ends of green onions.
- In a 5-quart dutch oven or saucepan, hea three quarts water to boiling over high heat.
- Add cabbage leaves and cook, pressing leaves under water with tongs or large spoon until leaves are pliable, (3 to 5 minutes).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer leaves to colander to drain.
- Add green onions to boiling water; blanch until just wilted, (10 seconds). Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix thyme, black pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt. Rub thyme mixture on pork roast.
- Wrap roast in wilted cabbage leaves; secure leaves with blanched green onions ( you will probably have to tie 2 green onions leaves together so strand is long enough to wrap around the roast ).
- Place pork loin in a 14 X 10 roasting pan. Place potatoes and rest of cabbage around roast.
- Pour bouillon mixture into pan.
- Roast pork, basting occasionally with pan juice, until meat thermometer inserted in center registers 155, about 1 hour ( intenal temperature will rise to about 160 upon standing after removing from oven ).
- Place pork loin on a large serving platter and using a slotted spoon remove potatoes and cabbage and place around roast. Slice pork and serve hot with cabbage and potatoes.