Grandma's Cabbage Casserole
Photo from ifood.
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 lb
- ground pork
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- sweet hungarian paprika, more or less to taste
- 1 c
- 16 oz
- jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained(processed cabbage)
- pinch of dry thyme
- 1 c
- cooked rice
- 10 small
- smoked sausages
- 1 c
- dairy sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Grandma's Cabbage Casserole
- 1In a large skillet sauté the onion in oil over medium heat until translucent; add meat. paprika and water; cook meat for about 12 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and meat is no longer pink. Set aside.
- 2In a large pot or Dutch oven cook the sauerkraut and smoked sausage until heated through, season with the thyme.Set aside.
Remove sausage and slice in half lengthwise.
- 3In a large casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray; place 1/2 the sauerkraut then all the pork and onion mixture, then all the rice.
Layer the remaining sauerkraut over the rice and then place the sliced smoked sausage on top-next spread the sour cream on top.
Bake at 350^ for 30-45 minutes.
Let set for 5 minutes, then cut with a sharp knife.
Serve with sour cream.