Grandma Lee's Cabbage Rolls
My Grannie Lee lived next door to a Hungarian lady who taught her how to make these cabbage rolls.
I know these are a little labor intensive, but they make a huge batch, and freeze very well.
- 2 large
- heads green cabbage
- 3 lb
- ground chuck or hamburger
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground pork
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- long grained white rice
- 1/3 c
- shortning, or lard
- 12 oz
- tomato puree, divided
- 29 oz
- ( 2- 14.5 ) ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 81 oz
- ( 3- 27 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 1/2 tsp
- each salt and pepper, or to taste
How to Make Grandma Lee's Cabbage Rolls
- 1Wash cabbage, and run a sharp knife all around the core. Put one of the heads of cabbage in a large bowl, add 1/2 cup water, cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in microwave. Cook on high to start maybe 6 minutes.
- 2It works better if you put the core side down into water. Save the inner leaves that are too small and bits and pieces. You will use these later.
- 3Steam repeatedly, until you have removed all the cabbage leaves. You will have to steam a little, remove a few leaves, cover and repeat until all leaves are free.
- 4In a large bowl combine the meats, shortning, rice,1/3 cup puree,and salt and pepper. That's your filling
- 5You might have to remove some of the larger thicker veins in some of the cabbage leaves.
- 6In each leaf put some filling at the thick end in the middle about 1 inch from the end.
- 7Fold end over filling, tuck both sides up around filling, and roll.Repeat until all leaves are used
- 8In a large roaster, spray with non stick spray, and place a layer of unused pieces of cabbage, that will prevent the rolls from sticking.
- 9Put a layer of cabbage rolls to cover bottom, cover with half the sauerkraut and all the tomatoes.
- 10Add another layer of cabbage rolls, cover with rest of sauerkraut, and spread the puree over the top.
- 11Too many rolls? Just make 2 layers then and finish with sauerkraut and puree.
- 12Add water just until you see it come up on sides of pan.
- 13Cover tightly with foil and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 4 hours.
- 14You should make these the day before you need them.Next day bake at 350 degrees until hot maybe 1 1/2 hours.
- 15The sauerkraut is served on the side, and all you need is bread and butter with this.