German Pierogies With Kielbasa, Bacon & Apples
My alteration to the original recipe is to use frozen Pierogies. (Don't tell grandma, but they are just as good as home-made and a huge time saver.)
With my version, I can have supper on the table in 30 minutes... great for today's busy, working schedules.
- 1 bag(s)
- frozen pierogies (i like mrs. t's, cheddar and potato) i use about 3/4 of a large bag, 16-20 pierogies.
- 2 large
- gala apples, peeled and sliced in thick slices
- 1 pinch
- allspice or cloves, optional
- 1 tsp
- 5 Tbsp
- (approximate) butter and/or bacon grease for frying
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 5 slice
- bacon, pre-cooked or cook your own and use some of the bacon grease for frying onions, cut into 1" pieces
- ring of a good quality, fully-cooked polska kielbasa, coarsley ground if you can find it, cut into 1 1/2" chunks.
- 1 jar(s)
- 16 oz. aunt nellie's sweet and sour red cabbage, to be served on the side. (can be found next to the canned sauerkraut, in a glass jar.)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make German Pierogies With Kielbasa, Bacon & Apples
- 2In same pan, fry bacon or warm pre-cooked bacon. Remove and place in a pile next to the apples. Fry onions in 1-2 T. bacon grease or add 1-2 T. butter, if not using. Salt and pepper, if necessary. (Bacon is usually salty enough.) Fry until onions begin to caramelize. Place in a pile along side the other previously cooked ingredients.
- 3In same pan, fry Kielbasa on cut ends just to get a little color and pick up the flavors of the pan. Place in a pile with rest of cooked ingredients.
- 4In same pan, bring 1/2" water to a gentle boil. Add frozen pierogies. (For 4 people, I usually figure 16-20 pierogies.) Gently simmer for 5 minutes. (Check to make sure they don't stick.) Drain. Melt 2-3 T. butter, bacon grease or a combo and return pierogies to pan and fry for a minute or so. Gently, layer all of the ingredients back into pan with pierogies saving bacon chunks for last to top the whole thing. Cover and warm until just heated through, or you can cover tightly and warm in the oven until heated through.