FEINER SCHWEINEBRATEN (BEST PORK ROAST)
- 1 large
- oven bag
- 1 c
- apple juice
- 4 oz
- dried plums or prunes
- 2 lb
- boneless pork roast
- salt, pepper and ground paprika to taste
- 1 to 2 Tbsp
- whole cloves
- onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 c
- sour cream
- 1 Tbsp
- corn starch or potato starch
- 1 Tbsp
- grated horseradish (optional)
How to Make FEINER SCHWEINEBRATEN (BEST PORK ROAST)
- 1Heat the apple juice and pour over the dried plums in a bowl. Let it sit until the plums are softened, about 30 minutes.
- 2Rub the meat with a mixture of salt, pepper and ground paprika and then brown on all sides in the oil in a Dutch oven or large skillet.
- 3Push the whole cloves into the roast. Place roast into an oven bag according to the bag's directions.
- 4Add the onion chunks, plums and apple juice to the bag and close it. Cut slits in the bag according to directions on the package. Place the bag with roast in a casserole dish with at least 2-inch high sides.
- 5Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1-1/2 hours or until meat registers 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- 6Remove from oven. Carefully cut one corner of the bag and empty the liquids into a pan. You may keep the onions and plums in the liquid.
- 7Remove the roast from the bag and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- 8Place the liquids in a pan on the stove top and bring to a boil. Reduce broth to about one cup and reduce heat.
- 9In a small bowl, stir the sour cream together with the corn or potato starch and then stir into the broth, bring to a boil and stir until thickened.
- 10Season to taste with freshly ground or bottled horseradish (optional), salt, pepper, and sugar if desired.
- 11Slice the roast and serve with the sauce over potatoes or noodles.