Crock Pot Pork Tacos
Leslie Speed Dutton
The taco meat freezes great.
- 4-5 pounds bone in pork shoulder
- 3 Tbsp
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 large
- onion, cut into wedges
- 3 c
- dark ale, like guinnes
- canned chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped*
- 3 tsp
- canned adobo sauce
- flour or corn tortillias, warmed**
- 2 medium
- onion, cho;pped
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- 1 large
- avacado, chopped
- 16 oz
- sour cream
- 2 c
- mexican blend shredded cheese or cheddar
- olive oil for sauteing
- 1 bunch
- cilantro, fresh
FOR TACO TOPPINGS
How to Make Crock Pot Pork Tacos
- 1*Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. when working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- 2**To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in foil. Heat for about 10 minutes or until warm.
- 3Sprinkle meat on all sides with chili powder, salt, and pepper; rub in with your fingers. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck onion wedges around meat. In a bowl combine root beer, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Pour mixture over meat.
- 4Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until meat easily shreds with a fork. Turn off slow cooker.
- 5Transfer meat to large cutting board or work surface; cool slightly. Chop cilantro.
- 6Transfer cooking liquid to medium saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Add chopped cilantro. Bring cooking liquid to simmering over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened.
- 7Use two forks to pull meat apart into coarse shreds, discarding fat; return meat to slow cooker. Pour reduced cooking liquid over meat, stirring to coat.
- 8Serve meat in warm tortillas. If desired, add accompaniments.
- 9Slice onion in rings. Julianne bell peppers. Heat oil on medium-high heat in a skillet. Cook onions and peppers until onions are transparent. Serve with tacos.
- 10Accompaniments include cheese, fresh avocado, sour cream and any other toppings.